This is a list that I’m collecting and keeping updated about the creative affirmations that will help you, and have helped me, to keep myself in balance during the creation of my work.
- Allow yourself to make mistakes. Nobody can always be right and perfect and amazing: this is a ridiculous expectation. Read this good article on the NYTimes about Being Wrong, lose your fear of being wrong!
- “Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid.”
- Let your brain play, it’s an inventor. Allow yourself to create. (JMC)
- My creativity heals myself and others (JMC)
- Think of the progress, not of perfection, because this is an awkward, tentative, embarrassing process (JMC)
- it’s impossible to get better and look good at the same time (JMC)
- “Human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them . . . Life obliges them over and over to give birth to themselves.” Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- “When I thought of it, I was so happy I thought of it. It came to me, which is what the creative act is all about. Things come to you without you necessarily knowing what they mean. …” Maurice Sendak
- “Do it every day for a while. do it as you would do scales on the piano. Do it by prearrangement with yourself. Do it as a debit of honor. and make a commitment to finishing things.” (Bird by Bird)
- “Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” (E.L.Doctorow) You don’t know what you’re doing until you’ve done it. And it’s ok.
- You need to start somewhere
- we shouldn’t be ashamed of a work (any work) that has been done with love.
- Fun is important. You should like the process and the subject. If you are bored or unhappy with your subject it will show up in the pictures. If in your heart of hearts you want to take pictures of kitties, take pictures of kitties. (Alec Soth in a Magnum post with advices for young photographers)
- Let yourself trust the process
- Don’t give up
- Life is energy
- Attention is an art of connection
- “Remember it’s harder and more painful to be blocked than it’s to do the work” (JMC)
- Choose companions that will encourage you to do the work (JMC)
- Your job is to do the work, not to judge it (JMC)
- GodIdontBelieveIn, “I will take care of quantity, you take care of the quality” (JMC)
- We’ll tell ourself that everything is new and original is wrong and dangerous and not good. Our negative opinions about our work are not the truth. (JMC)
- You are unique, your vision is unique
- There is nothing like “I’m too old” in art
- Going sane, sometimes feels like going crazy
- Live the present, not the future
- What advice would you give young photographers? Give it all you got for at least 5 years and then decide if you got what it takes. Too many great talents give up at the very beginning; the great black hole looming after the comfortable academy or university years is the number one killer of future talent. (Carl De Keyzer)
- “SINCE GRAD SCHOOL I MADE THE DECISION TO DEFINE SUCCESS AS CONTINUOUSLY MOVING FORWARD IN SOME WAY, EVEN IF VERY SLOWLY.” (PAULA MCCARTNEY )
- Socrates said, “The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.”
- the esthetic of pictures can change in 10 years, but not their meaning.
- GO TO SEE PINA FROM WIM WENDERS: Dance dance otherwise we are lost
- When asked how he felt about missing photographs while he reloaded his camera with film, Garry Winogrand replied “There are no photographs while I’m reloading”
- We focus not on our responsibilities to ourselves, but in our responsibilities to others. We tend to think such behaviour makes us good people. It doesn’t. It makes us frustrated people.
- “Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.” Goethe
- “Not to dream boldly may turn out to be irresponsible,” said educator George Leonard. I certainly think that will be true for you in the coming months, Taurus. In my astrological opinion, you have a sacred duty not only to yourself, but also to the people you care about, to use your imagination more aggressively and expressively as you contemplate what might lie ahead for you. You simply cannot afford to remain safely ensconced within your comfort zone, shielded from the big ideas and tempting fantasies that have started calling and calling and calling to you.”
- In Woody Allen’s film Midnight in Paris, the Ernest Hemingway character says: “All cowardice comes from not loving, or not loving well enough.”
- When you get to where you wanna go
and you know the things you wanna know
When you said what you wanna say
And you know the way you wanna play
You’ll be so high
You’ll be flying
(You’re the one, R.Williams)